Creature performer and artist Jeremiah Krage on the many challenges of bringing non-human characters to life
In this episode, the tables have been turned, and I am on the other side of the microphone!
In the last series of the podcast, I interviewed Magnus Goransson, Design Director at LEGO’s Creative Play Lab. After our conversation, Magnus reached out and offered to interview me in return – specifically about my performance work.
One of my many roles as a creative is being a creature performer. I trained as an actor and I specialise in bringing non-human characters to life. One of the most well-known of these was Tinky Winky from Teletubbies. And as you’ll hear, this struck a chord with Magnus, who was intrigued to know more.
Some of the topics we cover in our conversation include:
- how I discovered the world of creature performance
- my early training and how it continues to influence my work today
- how that training overlaps with how designers work
- how I use physical constraints to inform the creative process
- we talk about some of the unique challenges of this line of work
- and we compare notes on a few practical tips for creatives
Please enjoy this slightly different episode of The Practical Creative!