Jo Downs - The UK’s premier fused-glass artist and designer on building a business in craft, constant experimentation, and saying ‘yes’ to uncertainty
Jo is the UK’s premier fused-glass artist and designer. Her private commissions appear on cruise ships, in some of the most prestigious hotels, and in private homes, around the world. In this conversation, we talk about some of the key principles that moved her from a solo-maker with a kiln in her bedroom to running a business with 8 galleries and over 40 employees, all focused on making and selling her work.
Other topics we cover include:
- some of the key decisions Jo made that placed her work directly in the front of major buyers, leading to prestigious commissions
- the potential dangers of commissions, and how Jo managed to narrowly avoid disaster
- this is balanced with the potential huge benefits to taking commissions, and Jo talks about a project that she’s currently working on
- what it's like to turn over control and trust other people to execute your designs
- we also talk about Jo’s constant drive to experiment and say "Yes", and how these have both been instrumental in getting her where she is today
I found this to be a fantastically inspiring conversation, and I hope that you do too!