Magnus works at LEGO as Design Director in the Creative Play Lab – where he works with teams to design and develop toys of the future. His work is informed by a huge and constantly growing body of research conducted by LEGO into both how, and why, children play. And in this conversation, we cover a range of topics including:
- how LEGO fosters a culture of play amongst it’s employees (and this is really fun)
- the benefits of working in teams to prevent and overcome blocks
- the reality of designing products for a major corporation, particularly as a creative person, and how this can lead to burnout
- why adults prefer to have ‘hobbies’ rather than admit to ‘playing’
- we also talk about how Magnus managed to find alternative outlets for his own creativity as he moved from being a hands-on designer to a director – and this was fascinating
And as always, we finish with a challenge to really ‘engulf yourself in play’.
So please enjoy!